Cyprus Sunshine Cup, Round 2 / Amathous Preview
Racing at Amathous in 2015. Hungarian champion Barbara Benko will be among the favourites again
For the 2nd round of the Cyprus Sunshine Cup 2017 the cross country specialists on Sunday meet between the ancient ruins of Amathous. For the the seventh time a race will be held there and its Ukrainian Yana Belomoina and French Jordan Sarrou, who are called the favourites for the top spot on the podium.
“I still cannot believe it, that I have won the Afxentia Stage Race”, Belgian Githa Michiels stated on Monday still overwhelmed about the victory in the famous classic.
This puts the Versluys rider for the C1 race on Sunday in the role of a favourite. But maybe the pole position goes a bit more to Yana Belomoina (CST Sandd American Eagle), who scored a second place at the final cross country race of Afxentia and then was smiling: “Cross Country, that’s my home soil”.
Same counts also for Hungarian Barbara Benko (Focus XC), who rides technically very well, same as Alexandra Engen from Sweden and Dutch Anne Terpstra (Ghost Factory Racing, both).
Further names to have on the list for a spot on the podium in front of the ruins of Amathous: Mexican Daniela Campuzano (BH-Sr Suntour-KMC) and former world cup winner Lisi Osl (Aut, Ghost Factory Racing).
Men: Sarrou is the man to beat
Thomas Litscher (jb Brunex Felt) calls the 4,72 kilometre course “brutal”, because of its 175 meters ascent per lap. But the Swiss confesses also: “It’s a top course and I like it very much.”
He is looking for a top five finish and “if it goes really well, then a top 3 is possible”.
Favourite among the men's: Jordan Sarrou
Jordan Sarrou (BH-Sr Suntour-KMC) meanwhile is the man to beat. He won two Afxentia stages and so took a lot of self-confidence out of it. “I did not expect already to be in such a good shape. Looking forward to the race in Amathous”, says Sarrou.
Main contenders are Czech Jan Skarnitzl (Sram Mitas Trek), Swede Matthias Wengelin (Orebrocyklisterna) and the Austrian Karl Markt (Möbel Märki).
- 10:00 - 16:00 Inscriptions / Registrations at Archaeological site of Amathous (same as the start of race)
- 11:00 - 15:30 Unofficial Training
- 16:30 - 16:45 Technical Meeting, Next to the Start / Finish line
Sunday 05/3/2017 - Race day
- 09:00 Staging for Cadets , Masters and Cycling For All Categories
- 09:15 Start of Cadets, Masters and Cycling For All Categories
- 10:45 Staging for Women Elite and Junior Women
- 11:00 Start of Women Elite
- 11:01 Start of Junior Women
- 13:00 Staging of Men Elite and and Junior Men
- 13:15 Start of Men Elite
- 13:16 Start of Junior Men
- 15:00 Award Ceremonies for All Categories